McKinley JOG-A-THON Fundraiser
One of the Biggest School
Fundraising Events of the Year!
Thursday, October 25th, 2018
Picture this. Over one hundred kids lined up at their class’s “start line”. The theme to “Chariots of Fire” begins to blare over the loud speaker…the excitement builds and then the announcer says, “Ready, set, go!” AND the kids are off…running to raise money for the school programs they love…
The McKinley Parent Teacher Club’s JOG-A-THON is one of our school’s BIGGEST fundraisers and your support is vital. Most importantly this is the only event where the kids take the lead in raising money for their school. Did you know that ALL of McKinley’s dance, ceramic, art, garden and Spanish programs are no longer funded by the school district? The only reason our kids get to participate in these programs is because we raise the money to fund them.
- Thank you to our record breaking 13 T-Shirt Sponsors this year!
- DuPre Real Estate
- Procopio Law Firm
- Gold Key Property Management
- Community Realty
- Account On Me
- Milberg Orthodontics
- Parkside Market
- De Luca’s Pizza
- Green Art Labs
- Myers Media Group
- Ergo Architecture
- Barons Market
- The Station Tavern
- Thank you to Chris Potts, McKinley Parent, for making all 650 Jog-A-Thon t-shirts for us! Even by purchasing 650 t-shirts from Chris this year, we were still able to give away free Jog-A-Thon t-shirts to all students, teachers and staff! This was in large part to our 13 generous t-shirt sponsors!
- Thank you to Dr. Tara Zandvliet, the South Park Doctor, for donating her time and providing First Aid at the event!
- Thank you to Running Club for the scanners, the badges and for helping us with training, reports and volunteers! Huge thanks to Theo Leslie for being our scanner guru and to Geysil Arroyo for running all of the reports!
- Thank you to ASE Thursday volunteers & Tuesday Papers volunteers for helping us stuff packets, pin badges, and jumping in each week when we needed help!
- Thank you to Fred Taylor, McKinley Parent, from Procopio Law Firm for printing all 600 copies of the Jog-A-Thon packet for us, and also for printing all of the lap/mileage certificates for us!
- Thank you to the countless parents, teachers and staff members who jumped in to help with this event! We could not have done it without your help!
YOU CAN HELP!
We are asking students who are able and willing to participate to get their families, friends, neighbors, and/or parent/guardian co-workers to sponsor them in the JOG-A-THON. We are asking for flat donations from sponsors (e.g. $25 for the whole event).
Donations can be made using cash, check, or credit cards. Please have all checks made out to McKinley School Foundation.
PledgeStar is our web based fundraising tool. In addition to being easy to register and use, PledgeStar takes care of sending sponsor requests via email, notifies you of donations, and sends thank you messages to sponsors. When donations are made using PledgeStar, a donation letter will be sent to the donors (see example). Donations are tax deductible.
If you are having trouble setting up your child’s Pledgestar fundraising page please watch this short video on YouTube or call 1-888-598-7510:
This year for the very FIRST TIME, all students and teachers will be receiving a FREE Jog-A-Thon t-shirt! In the past, students had to purchase them or earn them by raising a certain amount of money. We feel strongly that all students should have a free t-shirt to wear for the Jog-A-Thon on Thursday 10/25!
- Pizza party with the Principal: All kids who raise $95 or more
- Engraved Trophy: Top boy and girl runner (most laps) per grade
- Class party: Class that raises the most money
- Limo Ride to In & Out Burger: Top money raisers (Ride with Principal)
- Raffle Tickets: All participants will receive 1 ticket for participating. Students will receive an additional ticket for each donor. The more money you raise, the more raffle tickets you get!
THE DAY OF THE EVENT:
The kids will run laps around our new track on the McKinley field (approximately 1/6 of a mile lap). Most students run about 8 to 12 laps, a little more for the older kids.
This year’s JOG-A-THON schedule is as follows:
- Grades K & 1st: 9:00 am-9:20 am 20 mins
- Grades 2nd & 3rd: 9:35 am-10:00 am 25 mins
- Grades 4th & 5th: 10:15 am-10:45 am 30 mins
Staff and parent monitors will be on the course to ensure that the students do not over-exert themselves. Dr. Tara Zandvliet (aka “The South Park Doctor”) will be on hand to help make sure the kids are okay. In addition, there will be plenty of water and orange slices to keep the kids hydrated.
Parents: If your child has any physical restrictions such as asthma or other respiratory problems or even if they just don’t like to run a lot, please let them know it is perfectly okay to walk or sit down if they feel the need. Please notify the office of any special requirements.
Parents also get to help out with the big event. We will need parents to help set up/clean up, donate oranges, help mark the kids laps, hand out water and orange slices during the race, or simply get out and run with the kids to keep their spirits up. If you are able to come and help out, it really is a blast!!
Questions about anything? Contact the Jog-A-Thon Committee at email@example.com
Past Event Photos