MCKINLEY THEATRE COMPANY PRESENTS NEWSIES!
REGISTRATION OPENS 9PM FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 15, AND CLOSES THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, MIDNIGHT.
MCKINLEY THEATRE CO. PRESENTS NEWSIES! January 19-21st, 2024
Audition registration opens tonight (September 15 9PM) for Newsies, Jr., the inspiring story of a spirited group of young newspaper sellers in turn of the century New York who band together to take on the powerful newspaper giants. These pint-sized heroes stand up for what’s right and prove that when young voices unite, they can change the world!
Cast: Program is free and is open to performers in 3rd – 5th Grades. No previous performing experience is necessary, but a desire to perform on stage is required!
Due to limited space available on campus, cast spots are limited to 60 and will be prioritized by grade and availability, and if registration exceeds size limit, a lottery process will be utilized.
Crew (Backstage and Ushers): 5th Grade ONLY. VERY limited spots for Stage Crew. Stage Crew participation starts in December and those interested in crew positions DO NOT need to fill out the audition registration. Crew applications will come out at a later date.
Please keep in mind that our show is based on the Broadway Jr. version, and so there are some significant differences that you might notice compared to the original movie! Primarily, our casting will not be looking into gender as a qualifier for lead roles– we encourage all students to try out for whichever roles spark their interest, and to remain open minded to the director’s vision! 🙂
Please visit McKinleyNewsies.wordpress.com for more information on auditions, characters and the overall production.
Please review the following dates, and if you are unable to commit to the mandatory dates, then your student will not qualify for this program.
Save the Dates!
- SEP 15: Cast Audition Registration and Production Team (Crew/Ushers) Application Open.
- SEP 21: Audition Registration Forms due. (if registrations exceed the allowable number of student participants, a lottery process will be followed with preference by grade level, and a waitlist will be created for students who we are not able to accommodate). All students who submit a registration form by the due date will be notified of their status on September 22nd.
- SEP 23: Audition Times posted by email.
- SEP 26: 3:15 – 6:30 PM: Auditions.
- SEP 28: 12:30 – 3:30 PM: Make up Auditions & Call Backs
- SEP 30: Cast List posted by email.
- OCT 3: 6:15 PM: MTC Full Cast Kick Off Meeting (Families Encouraged to Attend) Auditorium
- OCT 5: 12:20 – 2:20, 1st weekly full cast rehearsal at the JUP
- Rehearsals: Thursdays, 12:20 – 2:20 pm – all cast. Tuesdays, 3:15-5:15 – principal characters and others as needed. Details to follow. Saturday workshops 10-11am and 11am-12pm TBD (not mandatory but encouraged)
- TECH WEEK AND DRESS REHEARSALS: January 9-11, & 16-18th MANDATORY, 6pm – 8pm
- JAN 19, 20 & 21: SHOWTIME! School Show & Community Performances. MANDATORY
CAST: To audition, register here. Forms are due September 21, midnight.
Cast Rehearsals start the week of October 2, and the full cast will rehearse every Thursday, from 12:20-2:20. Lead characters will also participate in mandatory rehearsals on Tuesdays from 3:15pm-5:15pm. Rehearsal schedules will be posted via MTC Calendar and MTC emails., and will be available on the MTC Newsies, Jr. website.
Now is the time to seize the day!!
Barbara Smith, Director, McKinley Theatre Co.
Clare Crawford, MTC Parent Committee Chair