McKinley’s Lymphoma Leukemia Society (LLS) “Pennies for Patients” campaign is coming up!! April 15-26, 2019.
The LLS is bringing something new to McKinley this year: the Student Series School Assembly!! ALL McKinley Families are also invited to attend.
Monday, April 15:
- TK-2nd: 9:00 am to 9:25 am, Auditorium.
- 3rd-5th: 9:30 am to 10:00 am, Auditorium.
“Pennies for Patients” is a science-based, service-learning program and allows students to see the impact they’re making in the lives of others. At each 25-minute assembly, our LLS Representative will:
– Present the LLS P4P program to students with the intent of understanding blood cancers at appropriate age levels.
– Introduce the 5 members of the Hero Squad: Patients, Teachers, Doctors, Scientists and Students and explain how each plays a big role in helping research and cure cancers.
– Explain the three main components of our blood (red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets) with the visual aids and a slide show.
– Inspire students to “Join the Hero Squad!” to help beat cancer in our community.
LLS research fundraising involves McKinley Kids in a charitable activity that promotes IB Learner Profile qualities, specifically Caring. Together, we are making contributions to finding the cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma and improving the quality of life of blood cancer patients and their families.
In Spring 2018, McKinley Kids raised a grand total of $6,320 for the “Pennies for Patients” annual charity fundraiser. This was McKinley Elementary’s most generous donation ever!
McKinley PTC is looking for a few enthusiastic and generous-hearted McKinley Families to volunteer to keep this program running at our school. Interested? Please contact the Room Parents Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org