Description: Facilitate network of Room Parents to share information with teacher and parents for their entire class. The Room Parents can help in the class with schoolwork, classroom organization, and planning fun activities at the teacher’s request. Additionally, the RPC helps organize parent involvement at school events. The committee will include at least one member from each grade level to facilitate coordination of grade level activities. The committee also sets up and manages the Afterschool Enrichment program, which offers a variety of afterschool group activities such as chess, dance, drama and art for 6-week sessions in the fall and spring.
Committee Goals: Recruit two Room Parents per class, hopefully including one bilingual representative. Additionally, committee will recruit parents to help promote and host special events at McKinley with the goal of communication and community, rather than fundraising specifically. Events and activities include compiling and distributing a “Welcome to McKinley: McKinley Volunteer Parent (MVP)” booklet listing all volunteer opportunities, Kindergarten Orientation, outreach to new and returning parents on the first day of school, Volunteer Night, Open House and other events. Finally, we will band together to celebrate our teachers and host Teacher and Classified Employee Appreciation days.
Room Parent Commitment:
- Receive monthly emailed Room Parent Updates.
- Complete San Diego Unified School District’s Volunteer Application and TB test to work on campus.
- Collect email and telephone contact info for your child’s class.
Room Parent Volunteer Opportunities:
- Classroom help at your child’s teacher’s discretion (can include classroom events for teacher, help acquire supply/snack needs, help facilitate communication to parents from teacher, art projects)
- Donate to and volunteer time at Bake Sales at some school events
- Volunteer at parental involvement events such as Open House, etc.
- Volunteer at McKinley school spirit and fundraising events as available (such as SoNo Fest, Jog-A-Thon, Spring Gala, etc.).
- Help coordinate classroom fundraisers, such as Jog-A-Thon and gift sales
More Room Parent Information here.
Laura Blount: firstname.lastname@example.org