PRACTICE AT HOME MATERIALS
All performers are expected to practice at home for the group numbers as well as your individual acts. Here are some resources:
- “We Can Work It Out” lyrics
- “We Can Work It Out” Beatles version
- “We Can Work It Out” karaoke version
INFORMATION FOR REHEARSALS
- Rehearsals of the TWO big numbers with all participating and registered students will be Mondays and Wednesdays 3:45 – 4:45 pm; the class of 2020 (aka 5th graders) will be needed for a bit extra time. Not all students will be scheduled for each rehearsal. Please review the Variety Show Calendar for more details.
- For individual acts, students are expected to practice outside of the school group rehearsals. Parents’ support is much appreciated.
BE UNIQUE AND HAVE FUN DEVELOPING YOUR ACT FOR THE SHOW!
- Please try and choose something unique and different; poetry readings, comedy, magic tricks, story-telling, instrumental pieces, multi-cultural dances, etc.
- All performances, lyrics, dance movements, language, and costumes MUST BE elementary school appropriate and respectful. Remember to check out KidzBop for some family- friendly alternatives.
- Acts will be accepted on a first-come basis. There will be no repetition of songs so we may work with kids to combine acts.
- The following songs will be used for our two big group numbers so they will not be allowed for any individual acts: Imagine, Give Peace a Chance, We Can Work It Out, Yellow Submarine, I’ve Just Seen a Face, I Want to Hold Your Hand, Come Together, and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.
- Please note that if students do not finalize their acts, they will be part of the big group numbers only.
- There are time limits: solo acts are 1 MINUTE, group acts about 2 MINUTES. (Solo acts will be cut off at 1:10, and group acts of 2-3 people at 2:05, NO EXCEPTIONS!)
Day of Try-outs
Come PREPARED. If you are singing or dancing, please email us a digital version of your music. If you can’t, please bring a labeled CD to your try-out. Also, remember to bring any instruments, sheet music, props, etc that are part of your act. Remember all songs need to be karaoke style so we can hear the students’ voices!
Enjoy putting together your act, come prepared to your try-out and good luck!
INFORMATION FOR MCs (MASTERS OF CEREMONY) – Class of 2020 ONLY (aka 5TH GRADERS)
MC try-outs will be after school on Thursday, January 16th in the Book Room. MC try-out times will be emailed by Sunday, January 12th. If you don’t hear from us, please contact Geysil Arroyo.
Please come prepared to “perform” the MC script and sing a part of “We Can Work It Out” from The Beatles. Go to the McKinley PTC website to access these MC materials.