VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
The seemingly never-ending cuts to school budgets have created many opportunities for parent involvement. In addition to PTC related opportunities, the following opportunities exist and can involve working directly with students:
· Helping in the School Office (especially in the morning as school opens)
· Helping in the Library (projects you can take home or do at school)
· Wednesday Morning Paperwork Collation and Distribution (for the papers that come home in your child’s backpack)
· Assisting with VAPA (Visual and Performing Arts) Classes
· Assisting with Spanish, or César Chávez Club activities
· Volunteering in classrooms
· Translating information into Spanish
· Helping the school nurse with yearly hearing tests and eye exams
IMPORTANT: If you would like to volunteer in a capacity in which you will be on campus and in contact with students, you must complete the San Diego Unified School District Volunteer Application (available in the office) and take a TB test, which is a two part test (for example, if you take the test on a Monday, you must return on Wednesday to have it read). Tuberculosis test results are good for four years.
McKinley Volunteer Coordinator: Maria Soto
E-mail: Msoto1@sandi.net Telephone: 619-282-7694
Download Volunteer Form: School Volunteer Form
TB TESTING LOCATIONS:
County of San Diego Central Region Public Health Center: 5202 University Ave., San Diego, CA 92105; Corner of 52nd and University in City Heights. Phone: 619-229-5400
TB tests are available by walk in Monday 8:30 – 11 am and 1-4 pm. Tests are read on Wednesday during these same times. Cost is $8, but some may qualify for a waiver.
TB Control Program: 3851 Rosecrans St., Ste. C, San Diego, CA 92110; 1 block west of Old Town Trolley Station. Phone: 619-692-8600
TB tests are available by walk in M, W, TH, F 7:30 am – 4:30 pm (closed 12-1) and Tues. 10 – 4:30 pm (closed 12-1). Cost is $8, and you need to return 2-3 days after the test for it to be read.