Welcome to McKinley Elementary School in North Park!
We are a local school with a global view and are always looking for more students to join our community. McKinley is an International Baccalaureate primary year’s school. The McKinley Parent Teacher Club (PTC) provides many additional activities funded by the donations of our community and the donated time of our teachers.
We feel fortunate that our children receive and academically challenging education along with the opportunities to explore arts, music, assemblies and field trips that are not funded by our school district. Please explore out website to get an idea of all the opportunities available to your student.
For those interested in joining the McKinley family, please refer to the following information.
Questions parents have when enrolling their child at McKinley Elementary:
- Who can enroll?
- Do I need to re-register my child every year?
- When/Where can I enroll my child?
- Where do I get the enrollment forms?
- What documents do I need to enroll my child?
- How do I find out what teacher my child will have?
- How does my child purchase lunch?
- What are my options for before/after school care?
1. Who can enroll?
All Students that live within the McKinley School boundaries or applied through the School Choice Program
To verify your address please visit School Finder. If you DO NOT reside in the McKinley school boundary, you will need to contact your neighborhood school for their registration hours and information.
Your child is eligible for TK if their 5th birthday occurs between September 2nd 2019 and December 2nd 2019. TK enrollment is for the academic year and students that turn five after December 2nd 2019 will become eligible for Kindergarten the following academic year 2020-2021.
Your child is eligible for Kindergarten if their 5th birthday is on or before September 1st, 2019.
2. Do I need to re-register every year?
Returning McKinley students do NOT need to Re-Register. The Registration process is only for new students enrolling at McKinley Elementary. This would be:
- new students registering for transitional kindergarten,
- new students registering for kindergarten.
- students who are new to the district.
- students who are out of state or from another country.
3.When/Where can I enroll my child?
You can enroll your child in person or online.
For in-person enrollment please visit McKinley School Main Office Monday, August 12th to Friday, August 16th from 11:30 am – 3:30 pm.
For online enrollment, please follow the link New Student Online Enrollment
4. Where do I get the enrollment forms?
Here is where you can obtain the enrollment forms:
- at the McKinley School Main Office; open during regular school days from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- by downloading Enrollment Forms from SDUSD website.
5. What documents do I need to enroll my child?
Before given an enrollment packet you will need to bring the following documentation for our office staff to verify and copy:
- Original or Copy of birth certificate, baptismal certificate or passport (for students entering transitional kindergarten or kindergarten;students from out of district/state/country)
- Current Proof of Address. In the name of the parent(s)/guardian(s) enrolling the child and living in the same household within the McKinley neighborhood boundary. Rental agreement with three months rental receipts/military housing orders/mortgage.
- Most recent monthly utility bill-gas/electric/phone/internet media provider.
NOTE: Acceptable documents MUST show the name of the parent, guardian and the address and a recent date. Bank statements and driver’s license are NOT valid proof of address.
- Immunizations Record.
NOTE:As per State Requirements TK/Kinder students are NOT able to be enrolled unless we receive all the current and up to date Immunizations Record. This is also applies for any students registering from out of district, out of state or out of the country. For more detailed information please visit SDUSD Immunization Information
- IEP – Individualized Education Program (Most Current)
- Other important documentation the school will need on file (such as court and custody judgments)
- 1st grade students. Most recent physical examination. The exam should be completed during the kindergarten school year or within 18 month of entering the 1st grade.
6. How do I find out what teacher my child will have?
In August there will be a Kindergarten and New Student Orientation in the schools auditorium. You will be notified by e-mail, phone or U.S. mail. At Orientation all kindergartners will meet their teacher and get to visit their new classroom.
For students 1st – 5th grade please visit the Parent Portal for class assignments. The information will be posted August 23rd
7. How does my child purchase lunch?
The SDUSD Food Service Department serves nutritious, appetizing and affordable meals to all students. Student have a choice of 3 entrees plus a salad bar daily. A Daily Menu will go home at the beginning of the school year.
Parents also can prepay for meals. For detailed information about meal prices and payment options please visit SDUSD website by following:
Check out all of the great food options and more by:
- downloading our mobile menu app YumYummi (available on App Store and Google Play)
- visiting http://www.sandiegounified.org/food.
Free and reduced lunch:
San Diego Unified participates in the National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs. As these are federally subsidized programs, your child may be eligible to receive free or reduced-price meals. To find out if you are eligible, please apply here English or En Español
8. What are my options for before/after school care?
McKinley has two on-site extended care programs run by Copley-Price YMCA. They are available Monday – Friday from 6:00 am till the start of school , and from the end of school till 6:00 pm. They provide a snack, help with homework, outdoor playtime and often do special projects. This programs are:
- PrimeTime. To apply please visit SDUSD website PrimeTime Application page or the Copley-Prive YMCA PrimeTime page.
- Character Builders. The applications can be found on the Copley-Price YMCA Character Builders page
If you have questions, you can call YMCA at (619) 298 – 3576 ext. 11214. The program coordinator Adriana Casas firstname.lastname@example.org
If you thing you might need before or after school care please inquire ASAP. Capacity is limited.
For any additional questions you might have please feel free to contact our school office beginning on Monday, August 12th 11:30 am to 3:30 pm 619-282-7694 or visit SDUSD Frequently Asked Questions page.